Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The Way I do Travel Journals

Years ago I got a comb binder that I have used so much that I consider it one of my best investments. Each Christmas I make a book to keep track of gifts, stocking stuffers, concerts, menus and all the other details of the season.

But my favorite use is to make travel journals. I love to go back and remember what we did. Have you ever had a hard time remembering which trip had that funny story about...? And what was the address of that shop we didn't get to last time? My old travel journals have all the answers.

Because I can easily redo my comb bound book, I kinda have three versions of any trip journal.
For the first version I make a front itinerary page, then several pages for research on what to do. After that is the to-do-before-we-leave list and a packing list (or two). I decorate pages with washi tape, stickers and stamps. Then a week or so before we leave I make the actual travel version with added pages for journaling. I have started rating the safety talk before the flight, restaurants and bathrooms. I like to keep track of the weather. The travel and final versions also have three pages in the back; one labeled "When We Get Home", one labeled "Best Memories" and one labeled "Next Time" that could include just  that place or any next trip. When we get home I clean out any pages I haven't used, add tickets, maybe pictures or sketches I made and other such. I always take out our last trip journal and any journals for return trip planning.

No comments: